Monday, May 14, 2007

Day 3 and counting (Updated)

Not much happened yesterday. When I asked Dasha on Saturday if she wanted to see me on Sunday, she shrugged her shoulders and didn't seem too enthused. So I decided not to go to the orphanage on Sunday morning with the Benson family. Instead I went to the markets with Rhondi and her two children. Last night all of the American parents got together for dinner. That's when I found out that Dasha ran out to the taxi the Benson's were in and was looking for me. I guess this is lesson number one. If you say I don't care, don't expect something to happen. We'll see what her response is today when I go to see her today.

Sharon had her appointment at the US Embassy today. She said that it was nice to see Americans again. Everything went well and the papers are now waiting for me to sign. Sharon's very anxious to return to the US.

My new room, back up on the 11th floor, is 1000% better than what I was staying in. I'm actually able to use the wireless connection in the room!!! Whooo! I've only got the room for another 4 days, but it's better than were I was. Taking a real shower today was SWEET!

I'll update this posting later tonight with any updates from the day.

==== Update ====

Well I went to the orphanage with Rhondi at 3 pm and neither Dasha nor Natasha were around. It seemed that the staff didn't know where they were either. I sat with the Director for about an hour. I was then let into the library where after another 10 minutes Dasha appeared. We went out to the volleyball court and started playing. Natasha showed up a few minutes later, gave me a hug and went to change her clothes. When she came back out she hugged me again and started playing with us. Then one of Dasha's "friends", a boy, said something to her and off she went. By the time she came back it was time for me to leave. I got the pouty face and I tried to explain to her that I waited over an hour and then she left for at least 20 minutes. I asked Rhondi's daughter to translate for me that if she wanted me to come up to see her she had better be there.

Sharon and I both agree that this girl is going to have quite a surprise in store for her when we get to America.

So, I'm on for a visit tomorrow. Let's see who's waiting for dad to show....

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Too funny... don't you know how women work - we say one thing, but mean another. ;)

Love,

Jen

Sissy said...

Sounds like the first lesson of setting expectations is well under way. I would also imagine that coming and going at will is going to be out of the question. I'm sure this is just the beginning of many life lessons!! Hang in there, only 7 more days. Hope Sharon has smooth travel. Keep us posted. Love ya..

Unknown said...

Oh boy, the girl thing has already begun. Now ya know how David fills. Enjoy your room while ya got it. Safe travels.
Love ya,
Marcy