Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Days 4 & 5

I went to the orphanage by myself on Tuesday to see the girls. They were both there!!! However, shortly after I arrived, I received a phone call. The fingerprints we had taken when we started this process are due to expire on the 24th and 25th. I was to take the overnight bus from Berdyansk to Kiev so that I could go to the US Embassy to have my fingerprints redone. I had to go back to the hotel, gather all my stuff and leave in less than 30 minutes. I boarded the bus at 5 pm Tuesday and arrived in Kiev at 7:15 Wednesday morning. Tonight I'm making the return trip. It may not be the most pleasant mode of transportation, but it's cheap. It cost $24 which is much cheaper than the train. In addition, the train doesn't go into Berdyansk so you have to take an expensive 2 1/2 hour taxi ride from Zaporizhye to Berdyansk.

I can't say that this has been a smooth adoption process. I know others have had issues, but it seems every time we think nothing else can go wrong, it does. This morning I was told that Sharon will also need to get her fingerprints redone. That will mean that she has to travel to Charlotte. I'll hopefully find out more about this when I go to the embassy this afternoon.

I love Natasha, but right now I'm having a hard time knowing that we have to go through this entire process again in less than a year. The reason I'm travelling back today is solely for her. For what time I had to spend with them yesterday, she pretty much stayed by my side. Dasha had another attitude flare-up, but I think some of that comes from her desire to leave NOW.

Well, I'm going to get a little something to eat and perhaps sleep before I have to go to the embassy.

5 comments:

Sissy said...

I know there was some concern over the finger prints, but at this stage I guess I wouldn't have thought it would be an issue. I know at one point before you went over, you had hoped to meet Natasha's brother. Were you able to do that? Well Sharon should be waking up in Raleigh this AM with Nic glued to her leg :). Keep your chin up.....love ya.

Anonymous said...

Primo,
We pray that through every winding bend in this road of adoption, you can somehow see God at work despite man's attempts to make it difficult. Hang in there!!
Blessings,
The Bruce Family

Unknown said...

Safe travels. Rember God is in control. She love on Natasha as much as you can. It will be hard when you leave her, but hey at laest she knows that you are coming back. Take care and see ya soon
Love ya,
Marcy and family

Mom said...

Hi Primo: Without bad luck you wouldn't have any luck at all. Just remember that God will never send us more than we can handle although at times we do wonder. Continue to hang in there!!
Love and God Bless!!

Anonymous said...

Unbelieveable! Fingerprints do NOT expire...don't they understand that? One set issued for life...that's all! Just more hoops for you to jump through.

Maybe this is all "training" for when you get home and have 3-4 teenagers and Nic!! Learn to "juggle" & "dance" and try to keep a step ahead of them!
See, God does have a plan working here!! Hang in there.

Love,
Sheila